Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I pay child support in and I'm considering moving to, DC. My

I pay child support in Virginia and I'm considering moving to Washington, DC. My ex and son live in Florida. Will I have to change my case from VA to DC or can I continue to pay in VA?

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sure

Thanks for your patience. Jurisdiction actually follows the child. This means that if you were to move, then you could move the child support case to FL because that is where the child lives. Thus, it doesn't matter where you live so long as you're meeting the child support obligation consistent with the orders of the court.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But my son has always lived in Florida and I never lived in Florida, only Virginia. Support was filed in Florida and they transferred the case to VA.

Interesting. Almost always, it follows the child, but if a VA court believed that it should take up the case, because you lived there and if the other parties consented to this, then the court could take that up. Regardless, even if you move, you'd pay what the court in VA ordered. If you or the other parent would like to modify it, you'd have to file it where the child lives or do the same thing that you did in VA. Does that make senese?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does.

Thanks so much!