Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I file permanent guardianship papers on my granddaughter…

Customer Question
Can I file permanent...

Can I file permanent guardianship papers on my granddaughter myself?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No, not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 19 days ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

There is no requirement that you have an attorney to file anything with the Court in Indiana.

Do you have the forms for the Guardianship? I ask as some of the Courts in the state will provide forms, others not.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
No I don't have any papers as of yet. Was not sure if I could download them from the internet or get them from the court house.

Indiana has a basic online self help center for forms - the link is here - however, there are no forms on guardianship. Usually children's issues are through the Family Court.

Let me ask this, do the parents agree with your having guardianship?