Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have raised my 2 grandchildren age 4 and 8 for 4 years now…

Customer Question
I have raised my...

I have raised my 2 grandchildren age 4 and 8 for 4 years now I am on Social security disability and can't afford to get court ordered Custody Do you know if there is any help for me and if I can get any support from the parents to help with the babies needs

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No. I have got my insurance on them. Taken them to every Dr appointment dental psychiatrist counseling etc. Enrolled both in school Isabella Preschool 4 years ago and Casteal this year. My son will sign papers and will not fight but their mother who has never taken them to a Dr appointment, School Function doesn't call, sees them only a few times a year maybe will not because she gave birth they are hers. My son took both Children when he left her 3 days after Casteal was born. I babysat had them every day she did not work just did not want them. After 3 months my son knew he couldn't and the best interest was to bring the babies to me. Which she agreed because she nor her family wanted them. Legal Aid told me they couldn't help. Lawyers say thousands and thousands of dollars which I do not have. I have Guardianship Temporary paperwork made online by my son and their mother but the only way she would do it was to have my son put a can get the children at any time so if I signed up for a check or child support because even though notarized and witnessed and she makes good money she doesn't want or will not help in any way with the babies she has that and will not give her money for them. I'm trapped I feel

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is so much but that's the short way of saying it. Thank you so much

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

In the state of Kentucky, if the children have been living with you for one year or more, and you have been taking care of them, then the court may determine that you have legal guardianship giving you very similar rights as the children's biological parents.

If the contract that you and the children's parents drafted was never actually filed with the court -- you could still be found to be the children's legal guardian, and in order to take the children from you, the mother could have to prove that it is in the children's best interest.

If you've been caring for them and their mother has not spent time to build a good relationship with them, and if she has not financially contributed to their care, then it would be very difficult for her to prove that it is in the best interest of the children to have them be taken from you and placed with her.

Even with guardianship, child support can be mandated. In other words, you can petition the court for child support and it is very likely that it would be granted, especially if you are receiving any government assistance and have been the sole provider for the children.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

How can I get Custody through the court and child support order without any financial way
I'm sorry I only have 18.00 and don't get social security disability until 3rd Wed of the month I would love but can't afford a phone call. I'm sorry
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

I've just received your follow up message. Give me just a moment, thanks!

Thank you so much God bless you mam
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

There are filing fees associated with petitioning for child support and for custody. However most jurisdictions offer a fee waiver to those who are indigent or who cannot otherwise afford the filing fees.

You can inquire at the clerk's office at your local family law courthouse as to whether there is a fee waiver form you can fill out and apply for.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

If not, don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thank you!

Where do I get paperwork to file and do or can I file for both legal guardianship and child support order at the same time
Do I fill out the waiver and wait or do all 3 sets of paperwork together
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

They are petitioned for using separate forms, but yes you can file all of your paperwork at the same time and the judge can make a ruling on it at the same hearing.

Generally these are petitions that an attorney would draft on your behalf, but the clerk's office may have template forms available for use as well.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

This is an online resource from the Kentucky Judiciary that has template forms available as well, there may be guardianship and child support forms available here:

https://courts.ky.gov/resources/legalforms/Pages/LegalFormlibrary.aspx

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate, thanks!

I pray they do. I can't get an attorney because even though I've raised them I'm only their grandmother if they were my children legal aid would pay for all
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

You can also contact the Kentucky State Bar and inquire as to whether there are any pro bono attorneys available in your county that can help with your case for free.

The phone number is:

(###) ###-####/p>

Hope that helps!

Don't forget to leave a positive rating for me so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

After I file the paperwork and get a courtdate what paperwork documents do I need to take with me to court to prove without a doubt that I have provided cared provided and taken to all medical care mental health services counseling therapists enrolled in school attended every school parent teacher conference IEP meeting got ready for school to school home bought everything they needed involved in school activities Muffins with mom even
Their mom has never ever asked about how they were anything about school medical no phone calls texts pm's asking about them ever
They saw her 2 months ago she was going to a all of the family Easter and I know because even though her parents her siblings her grandparents have full knowledge of the situation and are fully aware they have no contact either but other parts of the family are lead to believe otherwise because they aren't a close family
I worry myself to death of the kids being given to her because she is going to say anything she needs and has to to get out of having to provide any financial assistance to help with the kids. Anything and if she has to get them not even wanting them she will before paying anything and definitely out of spite for me filing papers in court
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

You can provide medical records for the medical care and mental health services -- for example, receipts, notices of appointments, enrollment forms, to demonstrate that you have been taking the children to these appointments and overseeing their health care needs.

You can also provide any documents from the school showing you're responsible for enrollment, or you can also draft a letter detailing your involvement in their education, attending parent teacher conferences, etc. -- and have a school official sign and notarize it.

Hope that helps!

Don't forget to leave a positive rating for me using the 5 stars at the top of the page. Thank you!

It is by far anything about money in the situation I am watching her enter when it's convenient for her the effects its having the confusion that Isabella has
It's emotionally and mentally hurting them it's breaking my heart she can call me right now show up and say I'm taking the kids for a few days she has b4 I have no right to tell her no she knows it. Let the new boyfriend whatever the case think she's mother of the year not give them baths feed them the entire time drop them back home and I have to tell Isabella that Mommy has been busy or working alot watching the hurt the confusion and pray to God she doesn't get a boyfriend with real family values and takes them to make him believe she has kids raising them for that benefit. I'm so afraid so scared. I have 4 children 8 grandbabies they are my lives the other 6 have great moms and dad's when they go home I know that they are safe loved fed encouraged played with family values
Isabella have myself and my husband who we aren't divorced were best of friends he has helped me every step of the way where as with Isabella as well as my oldest grandbaby isn't by genetics biologically that has no meaning in my family at all My husband isn't biological but he is their papaw by every way in life that really matters he's there he's involved has been since my kids were small Matt Daddy lol. But Becky tells me she gave birth to them they are hers and she will take them and I can't do anything I've talked to her about the bringing of all the boyfriends through my front door telling them introducing them my daughter Isabella my son Casteal pretending like they are being babysat by me putting them in the car and out they go with them dropping them back off and until next time. That's exactly what she told me so I can't logic or even reason with her I'm lost. Summer just began I heard she recently had a guy she met through Facebook move up here I believe the 1st of June from south Carolina Isabella told me mommy's new boyfriend she got to see and talk to at the same time on the phone was buying her a phone and she'd get to see him soon. I know Becky well enough to know this guy believes she has the kids
I'm just waiting watching Isabella had intellectual disability which makes her forget things easily so I just found out that she talked to him when Becky last saw them 2 months ago randomly came up because I do not interrogate these kids or anyone I just listen from them watch and talk to them if they have anything bothering them stuff like that so I've known for since the day before contacting you actually about any of this. Is there anything at all I can do before I get to the courthouse if she comes through the front door and leaves with them? Any way to keep that from happening them going through this. I've already almost lost Isabella once September of 2016 I called Isabella's biological father because he has agreed since my son and Becky got together that he would sign his rights to Isabella over let Cj adopt her. Cj gave Becky the money 2 times he still hasn't divorced her because of this In talking he mentioned being on disability due to several issues and I asked knowing it could be needed family history and mentioned Isabella having the same of some of those upon finding out he informed me he wasn't signing Isabella over and asked if I was drawing disability on her yet which I have not but she's been illegible since her 1st year of Kindergarten the school notified me and had me consent to all testing. He showed up at Becky's work the next day told her he had federal charges he was sending me her and my son to if she didn't get Isabella from me that weekend and meet her and sign a paper and give her to him
Becky asked if I'd bring her the kids for the weekend she doesn't drive and didn't have any transportation never said a word to me
When it came Sunday 6pm to pick them up as she told me she didn't respond to I heard no contact at 930 approximately that night after hours of calling PMS texts looking I found her sitting with Casteal in his stroller at a park near her parents where she lives with her parents. She walked up to me started screaming and yelling at me I didn't know what was going on. I asked her to please put out the cigarette put Cas in his carseat sit in the car and talk to me. Like 5 hours earlier she met Isabella's biological father his girlfriend his brother stepdad at the park signed a paper and let my babygirl I know hers but my grandbabies are my babies to me
I picked up the phone and proceeded to call the police department and get Isabella she didn't know any of them she was only 7
Becky said it's ok I'm talking to her on the phone tomorrow I was shocked I called and 2 officers responded we were in Campbell County Isabella in Boone County
The officers came I explained the situation and showed them my temporary guardianship paperwork they told Becky she couldn't sign her over like that they mistook my paperwork as court ordered I
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I think it would be better to continue our discussion over the phone based on the additional information and questions you have.

The site makes phone calls available for more complicated matters.

I've sent you the link if you would like to continue with the call. I'd be happy to chat with you about this further.

If you're not interested in the phone call at this time, then please kindly take a moment to leave a positive rating for all of my help with your initial question. That way I can be credited by the site for my time and help. Thank you!

Said nothing just we wanted her back. They called police officers in the county Isabella was in I called my husband Matt who came got Cas and the police officers told me to meet Kenton county PD at a pizza place at a certain location and they would retrieve Isabella for me
I was so scared Becky said she had to work at 3 am I made her go with me
The 2nd set of officers took the paperwork called Curtis the biological father and informed him that I was retrieving my granddaughter and Becky's signature on a written piece of paper wasn't binding mistook the paperwork also but it is clear that it is not I never ever said anything again just asking God to please get her back thinking how scared afraid she had to be I about lost it
We went to his home the officer's took the paperwork to him to read as well
He informed the officers that I wasn't Isabella's family that he was blood she was his family one of the officers happened to be a month away from adopting his daughter walked away from the conversation told me how irrational Curtis was about adopting his daughter and he knew what really family meant gave me his card information name birthday address on Curtis and said if I needed anything to call him. Isabella was distraught out of control angry I stopped the car 6 different times to control her kicking hitting herself Becky needed to be home she had to get some sleep before work. Again shocked confused mad. I dropped her off got Bella home at 430 a.m. her not talking just screaming crying I held her to sleep
He has made no contact since his girlfriend pmd mw on Facebook that night informing me I had just ruined Isabella Curtis hers their young son togethers lives that I wasn't Isabella's family she belonged with them I did not reply
Please Help
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I don't have enough money to call
I didn't even really have enough to pay to ask questions every lawyer wants so much money I'm only her Mamaw to some as by marriage and my God that is so untrue of real family. It's not fair not right but it's in my eyes my definition meaning of trul
True family. My husband myself my kids other grandbabies are her family
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'll opt out of your question. Maybe there's another attorney that can assist you further.

Good luck with your case! Please reference all of the initial information I sent you above.

Have a good day!