Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does doing a new will override the will prior to marriage?

Customer Question
Does doing a new...

Does doing a new will override the will prior to marriage? This new will will not include the spouse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

A will prior to marriage. This new will be protecting my daughter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A Proxy Directive prepared after the marriage, the new marriage will not include the spouse at all.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Yes, a new will, properly signed and executed, will override the old will.

If you'd like to, you can also explicitly state in the new will that it overrides the prior will, although it is not necessary.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Fantastic!
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Great, I'm glad I was able to help!

Don't forget to rate before leaving, thank you!

Have a great day!

Very helpful! However, this service was cancelled at the end of May 2018.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

You should still be able to leave a positive rating for me using the stars at the top of the page. Thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

(Membership, etc. is a separate matter through customer support. Thanks!)