Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My future mother-in-law and her daughter, our writing things…

Customer Question
My future mother-in-law and...

My future mother-in-law and her daughter, our writing things on Facebook that are absolute lies. She has blocked us, my fiancé and I, from her account so we cannot see or comment on anything she is saying. It is very abusive and has caused A lot of stress and misery to my fiancé and I. What can we do to stop this? Can we sue her for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

This just started last night, we have had no time to do anything yet. We would appreciate some guidance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Mo.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are threatening to report to police, report abuse, the entire world can see what is being threatened and said. We have to do something

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 21 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 21 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 21 days ago

Based on the information you've shared, it appears that your future mother in law may be guilty of defamation.

This would provide grounds for a civil lawsuit. As part of a civil lawsuit you may also be able to get an injunction issued, preventing her from making any further defamatory statements.

In order to prove defamation, you/ your attorney must prove:

• the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff
  • the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party
  • the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication.

You should consider meeting with a local attorney to discuss the possibility of filing a lawsuit.

You can contact the Missouri State Bar for a referral to a civil defamation lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you! Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 17 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!