Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If an exparte custody is filed, does it require a certain…

Customer Question
If an exparte custody...

If an exparte custody is filed, does it require a certain timeframe for the hearing to take place?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Yes, my daughter's x filed an exparte in Livingston Parish. Court date is set for June 20, 22 days after filing. I thought that there was a time frame requirement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Louisiana

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 21 days ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.

The methodology relating to ex parte filings can be found here: https://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2009/ccp/ccp963.html

It states as follows: "If the order applied for by written motion is one to which mover is clearly entitled without supporting proof, the court may grant the order ex parte and without hearing the adverse party.

If the order applied for by written motion is one to which the mover is not clearly entitled, or which requires supporting proof, the motion shall be served on and tried contradictorily with the adverse party." The fact that a court date has been set for June 20th, cvlearly indicates that the ex parte was not granted, and that it was converted to a"regular" motion which allows the defendant to respond.

Please let me know if if there's anything you need me to clarify, explain or follow up on - and I'd be happy to do so! If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 3 or more stars; 5 stars is definitely appreciated! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you. We get notification of our ratings instantly. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question; please do NOT rate negatively because you think I'm not going to come back - this is not like an auto connect-type communication with some companies. We are *real* lawyers and we may be in meetings or on the phone when you next respond so please be patient if you don't get a response in 10 minutes - or even an hour. I WILL come back and answer all of your questions.
-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.