Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can a custodian parent legally and purposely delay an 18…

Customer Question
Hello! Can a...

Hello! Can a custodian parent legally and purposely delay an 18 year-old's high school graduation to extend child support payments? The 18 year-old is making timely progress towards graduation, but now it appears it will be delayed into next year!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

None.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Child support will usually end at the age of 18, however under Minnesota state laws, support can potentially continue until the age of 19 or 20, if the child is still completing high school. Child support usually will not extend past the age of 20.

That being said, if a parent is making deliberate efforts to delay graduation, then no that is not permissible by the court and also is not in the child's best interest.

If you suspect the other parent may be doing this, then you should bring it to the court's attention, along with any substantive evidence you have to provide to the court to help validate your allegations.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Thank you. The child is not returning any of our phone calls or texts, so we suspect that she is being pressured by her mother.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

You're welcome, no problem.

If you think that the parent is making decisions with regards ***** ***** child's schooling in an effort to intentionally delay graduation, then you should bring this to the court's attention.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this. I'm here to help.

If not, don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!