Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband of 13 years has constantly threatening to get a…

Customer Question
My husband of 13...

My husband of 13 years has constantly threatening to get a divorce well this time he let his job know not to put his paycheck in the bank so he can keep it for himself we have a joint bank account we always have and now I have 5 kids and no money I stay home with my children is this legal no legal steps have been made for separation or divorce or anything

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ga

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

If you or your husband were to file for divorce, then the judge would order him to continue paying the mortgage or lease, bills, car payments, and any other necessary expenses, while the divorce is pending, as he usually has over the course of the marriage.

Additionally, you could also petition the court for spousal support -- long term alimony after the divorce is finalized, and also temporary alimony for assistance while the divorce is processing.

You would also be able to petition the court for custody and child support.

Unfortunately without a pending divorce case, the judge or the police really have no authority in regards ***** ***** management of his paycheck and the household finances. That is more of a private civil matter.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.