Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have filled for Divorce but Iam not getting a response…

Customer Question
I have filled for...

I have filled for Divorce but Iam not getting a response from the wife what should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

TEXAS

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I filed the paperwork over 6 mos ago. Do I need to file anything else since Im not getting a response?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/31/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help.

Do you know of your wife's whereabouts? Do you have proof of service that she was served with the divorce papers?

Thanks for clarifying!

I have mailed the papers to her, but she has failed to respond or send me back the paperwork
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Thanks for clarifying. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Based on the information you've shared, it appears you may be able to obtain a default judgement and have your divorce granted now.

If your spouse was served with notice of the divorce, but fails to respond within 20 days, then you can file for a default judgment.

A default judgment can only be granted after 60 days from the date the original Petition for Divorce was filed -- so you also need to make sure it's been at least 60 days from the original date of filing.

Since you mentioned it's been at least 6 months though, it appears that you are in the window of time for being able to obtain a default judgement and have your divorce finalized.

You should visit the clerk's office at your local family courthouse where you filed for the divorce and request the paperwork for filing a request for a default judgment on your divorce.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!