Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Mississippi. My husband and i have been separated…

Customer Question
Hello, i live in...

Hello, i live in Mississippi. My husband and i have been separated since 2016. He threw my things out of our home. So i moved. The home is on family land. My parents gave us the land to put a house on. The house is in his name. We have a minor child that i have with me. He doesnt pay child support and his gf lives un our home. What are my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in MS family court?

Not yet. I am not sure what papers need to ve filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I am looking to meet with a lawyer next week

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The gf says she will pay for the divorce so sincecshe is pushing it can they pay my legal fees as well

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/31/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am very sorry to hear this;

Mississippi is an equitable distribution state meaning the court will divide marital property in a fair and just, not necessarily equal, manner.

They will do the same analysis for whether to award alimony.

One can seek an at fault divorce (adultery, abandonment, etc) and the court can take marital misconduct into consideration when dividing property and awarding alimony.

Additionally if there is family land typically the spouse whose family gifted the land is awarded the home, with a possible buy out for any contributions made by the married couple during the marriage.

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 22 days ago

Hello;

just checking in on the above.

If you have no further questions kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it - there is no additional charge to do so.

Thank you and take care!

All information is for educational purposes only; to consult with a personal attorney that can provide legal advice based on the particulars of your case, please contact:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html