Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son's wife of two 3 years (they have been separated for…

Customer Question
My son's wife of two...
My son's wife of two 3 years (they have been separated for the last year) will not release his body for burial unless I sign over property which I own to her. What can do. I see this as a threat. I paid their bills and they lived rent free in a condo which I own. I am tired.
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you.

My condolences for your loss.

What is the property she is claiming?

How long has it been since the death? Where is the body?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
My son died May 21, 2018. His body is at the funeral home. She wants me to sign over ownership of the condo where they lived before marital separation. She has no assets to pay expenses. She has been living with her mother.

Have you contacted the funeral home directly to indicate that you wish to step in and exercise the right of sepulcher, as his estranged spouse is refusing to do so?

Are you still online with me?