Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to file emancipation of my son to stop child support…

Customer Question
I need to file...

I need to file emancipation of my son to stop child support he is 20 dropped out of college and has moved out of his mothers home, is there a way to file it with court without having to get a lawyer and spend a fortune?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet i called the CS office and they said I can request to stop the child support based off the above but it needs to be filed with the court

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I live in Louisiana, he lives in Ohio the original child support was set up in Mississippi which is where he was born

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to file this and get it done

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/30/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Child support will generally be terminated if the child drops out of school; please see:

https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-93-domestic-relations/ms-code-sect-93-11-65.html

One would need to petition the court for termination of child support. The family court clerk may have a packet for a nominal fee, depending on the county.

One need not hire an attorney to do this- it is helpful to include an affidavit summarizing the facts, along with any proof that the child is no longer in school or has moved out of the family residence.

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 17 days ago

Hello;

just checking in on the above.

If you have no further questions kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it - there is no additional charge to do so.

Thank you and take care!

All information is for educational purposes only; to consult with a personal attorney that can provide legal advice based on the particulars of your case, please contact:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html