Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is there a common law marriage in South Dakota?? No i was…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Is there...

Second opinion] Is there a common law marriage in South Dakota??

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in SD family court?

No i was just thinking and wondered? My ex boyfriend was with my daughter and i for 17 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I am still living in the house and have been for 24 years now. How do I go about selling the house and what would be his fair share profit wise??

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Is there a common law marriage in South Dakota??

.

Unfortunately no, SD doesn't recognize common law marriage unless there was a common law marriage entered into in a state that does recognize it..

.

Are both of you on the deed to the property?

.

If so, he would be legally entitled to half by default. However, you could file suit for "partition" and ask a judge to award you a higher percentage if you have been paying for and maintaining the property for a substantial amount of time by yourself.

.

.

thanks

Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 25 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much