Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband physically abuses me I wish to leave the state…

Customer Question
My husband physically abuses...

My husband physically abuses me I wish to leave the state with my 15 month old daughter. Is there a problem with doing so

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Situations like these are often very tricky. If there is no custody order in place, then each party has equal rights over the child. This means that either party could take the child on vacation, to visit relatives, or stay a short time in some other place other than where the child normally comes home. The problem is the person who is not physically in possession of the child has the same rights to keep them there. In essence, the law treats parents without a custody order to have equal share. Thus, the general rule is when there is no custody order in place, neither party can be charged is required to do anything and unless there is a valid court order, they often will not step in.

If there are issues of abuse like you mention, it is probable that a court would be fine, but this situation puts pressure on both of the parents to get a custody order as soon as possible to avoid any indication of kidnapping. Without one, because both parties have rights, the non-custodial parent can take the child from the parent who took the child out of the state or out of the country and there is little the custodial parent could do. Plus, a parent who has possession of the child may unwittingly set themselves up to lose custody if they keep the child away from the other parent for too long. The parent who is not in possession could file a custody case and allege that the other parent is attempting to permanently take the child away, which means the sheriff could get involved.

My strongest recommendation is to begin custody proceedings before too long. Although the practical realities are that nothing bad will happen, a non-custodial parent runs the risk of never seeing their child again and a custodial parent runs the risk of being considered a kidnapper.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

what are the chances that he will get custody of my child is I dont have a job right now
no thanks
but thank you for your input

Having a job is only one part of it. If someone is abusive, the likelihood they will get custody at all is extremely low.

How else can I help today?

that s all thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!