Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question. How does law enforcement play a role

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a question. How does law enforcement play a role involving a child in civil matters ? For example if my child is with my sister in Colorado and I reside in Texas and there are no court orders neither in Texas or Colorado giving my sister custody of my child would law-enforcement arrest me if I went to pick up my child from my sister ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in CO family court?

No, nothing had been done

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I contacted legal aid here in Texas was told to call Colorado county clerk to ensure she had not filed for custody and they verify that she has not and suggested I contact an attorney I’ve tried calling several to see if they would do a 15 or 20 minute consultation on the phone but was unsuccessful I’ve tried calling several to see if they would do a 15 or 20 minute consultation on the phone but was unsuccessful

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at this time Not that I can think of at this time

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Haven’t gotten a response, any idea how long this will take?
5/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

If she does not have legal custody then there is no grounds for police to interfere. I will tell you that where the child has resided for at least 6 months is the state that has jurisdiction over the child.