Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex-husband gave me the house in the divorce decree, then…

Customer Question
My ex-husband gave me...

My ex-husband gave me the house in the divorce decree, then filed bankruptcy including the house in 2007. I have been making the payments and everything is fine but I was considering selling it at some point. His name is ***** ***** the mortgage paperwork, I think I know where he is but he is in another country. What do I need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No, there hasn't been an issue. The divorce was filed 12 years ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am remarried, living in the state of Colorado but not in the home in question.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/30/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If his name is ***** ***** on the Deed, the only thing you would need from him would be for him to obtain written pay-off amount of the loan from the lender so that the mortgage would be paid off as part of the sale.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Why would he be needing to obtain anything? Of course the mortgage would be paid off. His name is ***** ***** the title. It is still on the mortgage, he just filed divorce and bankruptcy. None of the documentation with the mortgage company was changed as it is usually not in a bankruptcy or a divorce with buy out. He received a sum of 16,000 in the divorce.
without buy-out

You never said that his name is ***** ***** title in your initial post. You only said that his name is ***** ***** mortgage. My answer was based on your initial post:

"My ex-husband gave me the house in the divorce decree, then filed bankruptcy including the house in 2007. I have been making the payments and everything is fine but I was considering selling it at some point. His name is ***** ***** the mortgage paperwork, I think I know where he is but he is in another country. What do I need to do?"

Your follow-up post:

Response 1: If your name is ***** ***** the mortgage, you can cannot sign a written release for the closing Attorney or the Title Company to obtain the mortgage pay-off. The ONLY person who can do this is the person whose name is ***** ***** the mortgage. Of course the mortgage has to be paid off as part of the closing. However, the pay-off does not happen out of thin air. There is a process that needs to be followed to obtain the actual and legal pay-off amount from the lender. I know this not as an academic exercise but I am talking from the perspective of someone who actually used to be a closing Attorney for banks.

without buy-out

Response 2: Your ex-husband cannot be bought out since you indicated in your initial post that he gave you the property as part of your divorce:

If his name is ***** ***** the title, then he must sign the new deed granting the property to the buyers. So, you would need him for the closing to obtain the pay-off amount and to sign off on the new deed that would be presented to the buyers.

Best wishes,