Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If my son no longer lives with his mother and works 30 hours…

Customer Question
If my son no...

If my son no longer lives with his mother and works 30 hours a week would the judge still make me pay ex child support?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No my son is 19 going to be 20 in aug

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ny

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's good

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 24 days ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

The law in New York establishes that a child support obligation runs until a supported child is 21. However there are exceptions. Two particular ones are if the child is self-sufficient, even if under 21, then the support will end. In your case if he lives on his own and works 30 hours a week, the argument would be that he is self-sufficient and if so, then no more support, even if under 21.

Now this would have to end with the agreement of your ex (frequently easier said than done) or a petition would need to be filed with the Court and it be shown he was self-sufficient and the Court could terminate.

I have attached here a link to the NY Consolidated Court System addressing the overview I have given.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there are more questions based on what I have provided.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Would I beable to file myself or will I need a lawyer

The NY Court systems are pretty user friendly.

NY has a portal where the process can be done online with Do it Yourself forms.

A link to this site for modification is here.

So yes, no issue at all with you starting it yourself as soon as you can get to it.