Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband left me on a Friday night going to a class in DC.

Customer Question
My husband left me...

My husband left me on a Friday night going to a class in Washington DC. We live in VA, he did not return until that following Sunday and was due back k that Friday night. I called in a missing person's report, . He did ot tell me where he was. i left him. Im i entitled to spousal support

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No, he submitted a separation agreement to me, 5,000.00 up front, 1200.00 a month for 1 year and 40, 600 when the house sells, a total of 60,000.00

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have breast cancer and am scheduled for a double mastectomy on Thursday, with treatment to follow for a year

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

There are several factors that a court in Virginia will take into consideration when determining whether to award alimony.

Those factors include the incomes and financial needs of both parties, the duration of the marriage, and the standard of living established during the marriage.

You can take a look at the complete list here:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title20/chapter6/section20-107.1/

If after an evaluation of these factors the court determines that you can be awarded alimony, then yes an alimony award would be entered.

The period of time for the alimony payments would be determined by the court.

If you prefer to reach an out of court settlement as you described above, then the court will also sign off on any agreement that you and your spouse have mutually reached.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!