Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Age child of divorce can ghoose which parent child can live…

Customer Question
Age child of divorce...

Age child of divorce can ghoose which parent child can live with permanentlt

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the parent taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

Not yet, child is 13 and cannot spend half of her time at her fathers

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Mjnnesota

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Minnesota state law actually does not provide a specific set age like many other states do, where the judge will hear from a child with regards ***** ***** preference.

State law does state that the judge can give “reasonable preference of the child, if the court deems the child to be of sufficient age to express preference.”

It really depends on the maturity of the child, and the judge's discretion and evaluation.

Children as young as 12 have been able to give their preference in court to MN state judges, and as a reference, most other states set the age somewhere between 12- 16.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!