Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Unmarried father who wants to ensure child is not moved out…

Customer Question
Unmarried father who wants...

Unmarried father who wants to ensure child is not moved out of state to reside with the unmarried mother. What forms are necessary to file with the court.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by province. What province are they in?

Florida - Palm Beach County

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Custody, visitation, and child support are always difficult issues to sort out, but thankfully the courts are there to help settle the score on the issue. If you are looking to modify custody, visitation, or child support, you’ll have to go through the court system. It typically starts with filing a petition, which is just a request through the courts to get a change in one of those things. Once you fill out the petition, you should make three copies: one to you, one for the court, and one to the other party. It is critical to understand that the courts are bound to look at what is in the best interests of the child above all else. This means they will look into who and how the child’s health, education, welfare, and safety are best going to be served.

Regardless, once you have filed the documents, someone who is over 18 and not a party to the case will serve the document on the other party. They will have a chance to respond to the petition and they will serve you as well. The court will likely set a date where they will either order mediation or they will make a decision at that time. If you can’t agree at mediation or if the court decides it needs more info, then it is likely you would go to a trial where you can put on witnesses, provide your own testimony, and let the judge make a ruling after that. Those are less likely scenarios, but they come up on occasion.

The order is enforceable from the moment it is entered and if a party fails to abide by the order, then they are going to be held in contempt of court.

Below are the forms that you will need to modify your current custody situation.

Supplemental (Modification) Petitions | 12.905 Forms A - D

• (a) Supplemental Petition to Modify Parenting Plan/Time-Sharing Schedule and Other Relief - 11/2015 (Fillable form coming soon)
    RTF / PDF
  • (b) Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support - 11/2015 (Fillable form coming soon)
    RTF / PDF
  • (c) Supplemental Petition for Modification of Alimony - 11/2015 (Fillable form coming soon)
    RTF / PDF
  • (d) Supplemental Petition for Temporary Modification of Parenting Issues for Child(ren) of Parent Activated, Deployed, or Temporarily Assigned to Military Service - 11/2015
    RTF / PDF

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?