Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Im going to court for child support in North Carolina. I…

Customer Question
Im going to court...

Im going to court for child support in North Carolina. I have found out im not the bological father and file a motion that was dismiss because the child was born in Virginia and the court say they have no jurisdiction my name on the birth certificate what can i do

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in NC family court?

Yes i filed for motion of paternity dissestablishment but was dismiss because of the child being born in Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No i haven't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That pretty much it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Where does the child live now?

North Carolina
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Did you file your motion in North Carolina in the county where the child resides?

Is this a motion to terminate a child support order based on the paternity results?

No they told me because i went to a facility that not use by the court i would have to file a motion for another paternity test but it was dismiss because the child was born in Virginia and they say they don't have jurisdiction
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Yes, that's correct. The court most likely would want a paternity test established through the court system for verification.

Where did you file this motion, in North Carolina?

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Also, is there a current child support order? If so, is that child support order out of the NC court?

If yes -- then yes, the NC court does have jurisdiction to hear the matter in regards ***** *****

Durham
there is current support order
What can i do
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

If there is a current child support order in that court, and if this is the county where the child resides, then yes they do have jurisdiction to hear the matter.

You may have filed the incorrect paperwork.

You should file a Motion in Objection to the Child Support Order based on a lack of paternity. In the body of the motion you can inform the court of the facts that led to your discovery of the paternity issue, and request to verify paternity through the court.

You may want to consider hiring a family law attorney to represent you in this matter, especially since the judge and clerks seems to be less than helpful to you.

You can contact the North Carolina State Bar for a referral to a family lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.