Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question about my marriage for Oberlin Ohio. My…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about my marriage for Oberlin Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Ohio family court?

My husband and I are going through a separation I am going to file for divorce I haven't done it yet I plan on doing it this week but I'm trying to figure out how do I go about moving from Ohio because I have no family and friends here I have no job I lost my job because of the stress in my marriage and I got backed up on my work and my husband is becoming very verbally abusive to me in front of my kids and he is just stressing me very badly he works and he does not financially help me at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No because I'm out of a job and I don't have the money to pay a lawyer so I'm trying to see if I can find someone to help me with this question so I can proceed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I cannot live under the same roof with him anymore it is not healthy for me or my kids I'm ready to start a new life outside of Ohio... and he's keep hanging the situation over my head that I cannot take my kids out of Ohio so I can get away from him so I'm trying to figure out the steps I need to take so I can move to Virginia which is 6 hours away with my family to start my new life.... is there a temporary custody agreement I can get?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Please help
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok thank you
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No thank you I'm out of work right now and I can't afford the $59 to do it over the phone
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I'll stick with the chat.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

I'm typing up your answer now, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

Since there is currently no child custody order, you could theoretically move with the children.

However, he could then easily petition the court for joint custody or some type of custody order, and this could present some complications and might even result in you needing to move back.

For that reason, it would be better to obtain a temporary custody order before moving.

The court in Ohio would be the court with jurisdiction to hear your divorce and custody case. In order for Virginia to have jurisdiction you would have had to have been residing there for at least 6 months.

I'm sorry to hear that there has been some verbal abuse in the home, and in front of the children. This is something that you can bring to the court's attention when filing for a temporary custody order.

Temporary custody orders are often times granted when there is a pending divorce and custody case.

When making custody determinations, courts will use the best interest of the child standard.

There are several factors under that standard, including:

• Wishes of both parents
  • Adjustment of the child to home, school, and community
  • Parents’ relative likelihood to honor and facilitate parenting time
  • Child’s wishes and concerns if interview conducted in chambers
  • Mental and physical health of both parents and their child
  • Physical abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect by either parent or member of their household
  • Child’s interaction and interrelationships with each parent, siblings, or other persons who significantly affect the child’s best interest
  • Whether either parent resides or intends to reside in another state
  • Failure of a parent to make court-ordered child support payments

See:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3109

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you very much.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate before leaving, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!