Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Have a question regarding a divorce proceeding in NJ as it…

Customer Question
Have a question regarding...

Have a question regarding a divorce proceeding in NJ as it relates to being on the mortgage of a marital home which is going to husband. Wife will remain on the mortgage until husband refinances. What happen if husband does not refinance. What protection can be put in the divorce papers ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in NJ family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 2 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Yes. That could be a concern that the refinancing does not occur. Is your name on the home also?

my name is ***** ***** the deed only the mortgage. I am concerned about him ruining my credit if he does not take me as a result of his not being able to refinance
Are you familiar with divorce law?

Yes. Have you already entered into the settlement agreement or the divorce order?

close but not signed off on
i'm looking to see if there could be wording added for protection against his inability to refinance and possible ruining of my credit...or if the year I give him to accomplish this is not met.

Yes. Are you can attempt to put language in the agreement that protects you in case a re-financing never occurs however you see fit. If there is no agreement, then the Judge would have to decide.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

have you ever put wording into an agreement for your clients that would accomplish what I am looking to do?

I am unable to continue to work on this question for you at the moment. I will open it for other experts to see if they can assist you. No need to respond now because that will delay the process. Another expert who believes they can assist you will reply.

Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

You should add an indemnification article wherein he must cover any legal expense related to the mortgage.