Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need advice about getting a divorce. I have not filed

Customer Question
I need advice about...

I need advice about getting a divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No, i have not filed anything yet. Just trying to get information on what I need to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a family inheritance I need to protect

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 2 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed Florida attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

In Florida non marital property is divided as follows in a divorce:

Nonmarital property includes any assets and liabilities acquired prior to the marriage. In some limited instances property acquired during the marriage is also considered a spouse’s nonmarital property.

Unless steps are taken to change the title or the value of the property in the marriage, the following types of property are considered nonmarital assets:

• Assets or liabilities that a party came into the marriage with that retains its value;
  • Assets or liabilities acquired by an exchange for a nonmarital asset;
  • Assets or liabilities acquired by noninterspousal gift or inheritance;
  • Income derived from nonmarital assets during the marriage (unless the income was used by the parties as a marital asset);
  • Any assets and liabilities excluded from being considered marital property pursuant to a valid written agreement (i.e., a valid prenuptial agreement); and
  • Any liabilities incurred where one spouse forged the other spouse’s name without permission.
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 2 months ago

Was this information helpful?

Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 2 months ago

Please let me know if you have an additional question or if you need clarification of the information provided. If not, please rate my service so that I may receive credit for answering your question. Thank you!