Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My mom and stepfather are getting a divorce in California…

Customer Question
My mom and stepfather are...
My mom and stepfather are getting a divorce in California they were married for 27 years and now he got a new girlfriend and had been cheating for quite some time his parents passed away and he has a trust inheritance with 160 thousand dollars that supposedly he can’t touch till he is 65 years old is my mom entitled to any of that money
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
I am sorry to hear of your family’s difficulties. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.While CA is a community property state, an inheritance to one of the spouses, until and unless distributed and commingled with community or joint property, is classified as the separate property of that spouse. The other spouse has no claim in the division of the marital property with regard to that inheritance.I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want your mother spinning her wheels on this.If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Is there a way to speak about this on the phone because there is a few things I wanted to explain about this situation
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I will pay the extra moneys
we can speak later this morning.
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 24 days ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.