Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Son admitted to giving pot to a friend at school. That

Customer Question
Son admitted to giving...

Son admitted to giving pot to a friend at school. That friend got caught and said my son Gave it to him. The police at school questioned him and he told them he got it from his parents that it is used for medical reasons. He did not get it from us but he thought if he said that he would not get in trouble. Now he is facing charged and cps is coming tomorrow to investigate. How do we handle this? I would like to get a lawyer for his case. But I'm wondering what he should or should not say about it to cps.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

The officer said we will receive something in the mail. Until I get the paper I don't know exactly what the charge will be as it was not in his possession

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That covers it. Cps will be here at 4 tomorrow

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
He is 13 years old
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about this situation.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

Do you use marijuana at home for medical reasons?

If so, do you have approval from the State and thus your medical certficate for the marijuana?

Where did your son get the marijuana?

Kindly note that this site does not offer legal representation. This is just a Question and Answer site.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

No we do not. He said he thought he wouldn't get in trouble if he said that. He says he found it. Not sure I believe that either.

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your son needs to come clean and tell you the truth so that you would know what to tell CPS or law enforcement.

Your question:

Son admitted to giving pot to a friend at school. That friend got caught and said my son Gave it to him. The police at school questioned him and he told them he got it from his parents that it is used for medical reasons. He did not get it from us but he thought if he said that he would not get in trouble. Now he is facing charged and cps is coming tomorrow to investigate. How do we handle this?

Response 1: You do not have to cooperate with CPS if you do not want to. Unless there is a Court Order, you do not have to say anything to CPS. So, cooperating with CPS is at your sole discretion if there is no Court Order. In the alternative, you can tell CPS the truth as you know it: your son made up a story of getting the substance from you because he thought that he would not get in trouble for doing that; that you are not the source of the marijuana because you do not have any marijuana in the house; you do not where he obtained it.

I would like to get a lawyer for his case. But I'm wondering what he should or should not say about it to cps.

Response 2: This site does not offer legal representation. Nonetheless, your son can tell the truth to CPS that he lied about you giving him the substance. CPS is involved because they think you are supplying your minor child with illegal substance. So, he should come clean and tell the truth.

You can use the following sites to obtain local defense Attorneys:

Google.com

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.