Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am being kept from ever seeing my two grand daughters by…

Customer Question
I am being kept from...
I am being kept from ever seeing my two grand daughters by their dad because the girls told me of abuse and i reported it
But Shiawassee Co DHS in Michigan violated confidentiality laws and told dad who called CPS. I have not aeen them for 2 years. Their mother is my daughter. She has drinking problem and should not have them full time. Their dad is hooked on pop and abusuve but i cant prove it. My sister does not work. She and her husbsnd volunteered to raise them but the DHS of Owosso Michigan said they dont give to relatives furst, not anyone outsude their county. I know this is not per stste lolicy because i am a retired Stare of Michigan children's specialist in Genesee County. But no attirney will touch this. Too many voilatioms ny thr tge state Agency DHS of Shiawassee County...children's protective services. I need free help. I anf mu husband are 60 years old in good health.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/29/2018
Family Lawyer: Attorney 1, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Lawyer
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.In Michigan, grandparents are afforded statutory visitation rights and I expect they are available in your situation. This site does not allow for direct representation, pro bono or otherwise. However, all the information on the law that you need to proceed can be found here:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(sb43j2ffskdndula2m5ur2aa))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-722-27bIf you do not wish to proceed on your own, pro bono assistance may be available through your local Legal Aid provider, and some areas have specific grandparent rights services that can directly assist in situations like yours. You may also want to contact your county bar association for referrals to attorneys who can give low-cost or free help in this area. The information in the above link should clearly inform you of all your rights and help get things started.I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue providing assistance. If your question was answered and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please remember to leave a positive rating where indicated. Five star ratings are especially appreciated!Best,
Attorney 1
What is an attorney's legal fee or retainer? And is it normal to give such large retainer before anything is done for my case?
a retainer is standard.Every attorney has different rates and retainer requirements. A large firm or will require more than a sole practitioner, And the more experience in attorney has, the higher the charges. You should take into consideration both the initial retainer amount and the hourly fee which will determine the rate at which a paid retainer will be depleted, and therefore the rate at which you will need to provide more money. The retainer will be higher or lower depending on the complexity of the case and effort involved. An attorney may charge as little as $1000 for a few forms or to help you a bit on the side, and can be exorbitant for full-scale litigation. When you speak to potential attorneys, be sure to inquire about the specifics mentioned. You may also want to request that they help you by preparing necessary documentation for you to represent yourself and to guide you along the way. This will significantly cut costs, but the attorney will not be allowed to show up in court for you. He or she will, however, prep you if you so choose. Also ask about the possibility of flat rate representation. This could be a benefit because you know you will never pay more than a certain amount.I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll continue providing assistance. If your question was answered and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please remember to leave a positive rating where indicated. Five star ratings are especially appreciated!Best,
Attorney 1
If there's anything else I can do for you, just let me know. I'm here to help. If don't need anything further, please remember to leave a positive rating where indicated. Thank you.Best,
Attorney 1