Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to find a low cost/pro bono attorney in Columbia

Customer Question
I need to find...

I need to find a low cost/pro bono attorney in Columbia South Carolina to assist me in a Legitimation of Paternity for my son

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in SC family court?

Not yet , I live in Georgia and do not know exactly where to go

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I live in Georgia and need to file for the legitimation in South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I am attempting to bring my grandson from the Dominican Republic to live with me in Georgia and my son, his father, is incarcerated in South Carolina. I am a senior citizen. I just had a paternity test done on the boy in Dominican Republic and he is my biological grandson.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/28/2018
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok. Thank you

Unfortunately, JustAnswer is not a law firm, and as a result we are not allowed to represent customers or to make direct referrals to specific lawyers or law firms.

However, every state has agencies that offer pro bono assistance to civil litigants, as well as public defenders who serve indigent criminal defendants. Here is a link to South Carolina's pro-bono services. Many of these agencies handle family law matters and while you may have to make a lot of phone calls, even if you can't get representation, you should be able to get some hands-on assistance. Also people in the pro-bono loop tend to know each other, so if you strike out at one agency, ask them for a referral to another that may assist you.

Here are some other links to pro bono services in your state. There will likely be some overlap:

http://www.sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/law/community_resources/legal_resources_for_the_public/

Good luck!