Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I just completed the divorce papers when will my husband get…

Customer Question
Hi i just completed...

Hi i just completed the divorce papers when will my husband get served i would prefer he got served at work and not through our home address we currently still live in the same residence

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No what are my next steps i have only filed with you guys online what are my next steps?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what steps i need to take i have filed with you guys online so what do i need to do next

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/28/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 26 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can give the process server you use his work address and ask him to serve your husband there if you do not want to serve him at home. You need to use a process server unless your husband agrees to waive service and signs a form waiving service. If not, then when you get your process server and pay for service you can tell them where to serve him and usually it takes 3-5 days to serve him, depending on how busy the process server is at the time.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i would need to hire someone to serve him the papers i just filled out online? once i get the papers?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
What are my next steps after i serve him papers? Or what are my next steps now that I have filled out the paperwork online?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you have to have a third party not involved in the case serve him the divorce papers and file your proof of service with the court. Once he is served, he has 30 days to file an answer to the divorce.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
what are my next steps after i filed with you guys online?

You have to print out the forms and you need to file them in court and pay your filing fees and then hire a professional process server to have him served.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
sorry what forms? the forms i just filled out? i remember i paid extra for him to get served and i paid extra for something else is it not to receive the papers in the mail? how do i print out the forms and what forms are you talking about

Thank you for your reply.

If you paid to get them served, then they should serve them for you. You need to go back and read that part of the agreement on the site, because we are not site employees and as such we do not know the terms of those deals.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
what are my next steps now?

I told you above. You need to check if they are paying to file the divorce papers with the court and if you paid for them to serve him. I cannot see what deal you made with that site, so I cannot tell you that.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
what if my husband doesn't sign the papers

Thank you for your reply.

If he does not sign, then it becomes a contested divorce and he files an answer and you go to court and present your case to the court.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
how long does this process all take to complete

It all depends on if he fights the divorce or not. It could be done in 9 months or it could take 2-3 years, depending on how much the two of you disagree over.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i see. we have a 9 month child. is it pretty hard to get full custody if i feel my husband is mentally incapable of caring for him
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
my husband has 70% PTSD he was in IRAQ for 10 years and gets money from the government

Thank you for your reply.

If there is going to be a fight over custody or child support or anything in this divorce, I would strongly urge you to not do this yourself and use a local attorney to represent you. A pro per divorce should be filed really only when the parties agree to the divorce and will not disagree or dispute any of the terms.