Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have two envelopes. Each addressed to different people. I…

Customer Question
I have two envelopes...

I have two envelopes. Each addressed to different people. I was instructed NOT to open either. On is addressed to me, W.M. Crim and the other is addressed to my wife, Palmer Crim. The sender in both instances is Addington Place At at The Hills

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Located in Roswell, Ga. Addington is a Retirement community. Am I in violation of any law if I open these envelopes and read the contents?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

William M Crim Jr

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

MY wife and myself reside in Georgia. I live at Addington Place At The Hills.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is no; there is some confusion with this. 18 USC Section 1702 prohibits you from taking mail from a carrier or a post office; however, it doesn't specifically prohibit you from opening someone else's mail. My recommendation of course is if you open the mail of your wife, be sure to get her consent.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?