Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Iowa and have 3 children with my husband whom I am…

Customer Question
I live in Iowa...

I live in Iowa and have 3 children with my husband whom I am leaving. Can I legally move them out of state? We have no visitation or custodial arrangement but they live with me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in IA family court?

No. The last visitation agreement was in his restraining order which has since expired. I have not filed any other paperwork.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I consulted with a lawyer briefly regarding the divorce but haven't pursued anything yet since I really cannotafford to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex has a history of emotional abuse and has been in the mental health unit at the VA and ER for anxiety and suicidal tendencies

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?

No.. my ex has a history of that.

Lawyer's Assistant: Okay. Let's try this again. How can I help you?

Can I move my kids out of state

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/28/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

There is nothing here that prohibits you from doing so.It is possible he files divorce where he is located and you have to come deal with it.Otherwise you file once you establish residency in the new state.If you need to go here by all means leave with them.You do this to protect yourself and your children and file for divorce when you can.

I appreciate the chance to help you, prayers to you with the move.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you!

Have a blessed night the stars are at top of page.