Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My fiance has primary legal custody and joint physical

Customer Question
My fiance has primary...

My fiance has primary legal custody and joint physical custody of her daughter. The birth father has had two days each week for many years now. However almost a year ago he stopped taking those days.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

We're going to choose to end his child support so that he doesn't pay it any longer. In 6 months we plan to go to court to end his custody. This is advice from a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We will be married when we go to court. My question is this. The child in question is 11 years old. I, the soon to be step father, have raised her since he's 1 year old. I'm the one she considers dad. I've been the one at all events, functions, schools etc. I'm her real father expect by blood. About three years ago my fiance and I had a split to work some things out. It's okay and we're getting married. My question is if spending time with me can hurt my court case? For example can I take her on a trip to Universal for two days? Can she stay at my house for a few days? I have my niece and nephew often and it's nice when she comes to stay. Everyone in the both families considers me her dad. On fathers day it's me that gets the gifts. Etc. Thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you.

There is no problem with taking the child on a trip here. It is fine for a child here to go on such a trip with relatives or step relatives.It is in their best interest to be able to travel with you.I don't see a problem with it.I hope at some point you are able to marry and adopt here.Enjoy the trip with all , its good for the child.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Have a great M Day.

What about staying with me on weekends? Especially when I have my niece and nephew?

I really don't see a problem with that either.It is good for the child and no one could argue otherwise.

What if we weren't married yet? Would that change anything?
Is this still open? Thank you.

No I don't think so.It would look better if you marry here for sure but the bot***** *****ne is this is good thing for the child and others spending time with her.