Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is the law regarding where one parent had custody .but…

Customer Question
What is the law...

What is the law regarding where one parent had custody .but lost it does family have the firts option to the child even if they have lived somewhere eles

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

Yes the judge awarded custody to a non relative family intead of family members

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The kids are going thru therapy and kods lawyer said the counselor said the kids shoild mot be moved also the family they are placed with is mot financially stable there i 1 girl 2boys. Im question .they already have 2 kids not married and the parties are of the same sex

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 2 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

Was social services involved in this process?

Department of family amd children services,attorney for the kids , and the kids counselor

Were the the rights of the parents terminated? If not, the party with whom the children are with may be a part of the foster care system.

If the right's of the parents have not been terminated, any relative who seeks or would like placement/custody would best be served by retaining an attorney and petitioning the Court for placement.

When DFCS is involved, they look for the easiest route to address a situation and that is not always with family. To get the children back to family, the Court may need to be involved as a Judge can order DFCS to act in the children's best interest.

This would allow them to be back with family, have more stability and be out of the current placement.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there are more questions based on what I have provided.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.