Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I would like advice on what to do as I owe child support…

Customer Question
I would like advice...

I would like advice on what to do as I owe child support arrears in fl as I live in nc and my child is 32 years of age and I am taking care of my elderly mom and my ex wife wants 50.00 a week which I don't have what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Where do you file papers

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

North carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Charlotte my ex lives In conn now

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 22 days ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed Florida attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Even if you cannot pay the full amount, pay what you can to show the court that you are doing your best. You should file a petition with the court to have your child support modified (“changed”). Use the case number ***** your original court papers when the child support was ordered. Make sure to copy the case number, court, and division from the old papers as this is like the “address” of the case and will make sure that it gets to the correct file. Make sure that your current address is included in your petition so that you can be contacted with the hearing date when it is set by the court.

You need to explain in your petition what the substantial change in your circumstances has been. For example: loss of job that is not your fault, increase in the non-paying spouse’s income, extended serious illness, child(ren) moving from the other parent’s home to live with you, or incarceration. Tell the judge what change you would like made and why this change would be in the best interest of your child(ren). Your petition has to be notarized and filed in the county where the order you are asking to be changed was entered. Make two copies of your petition: the original goes to the clerk of the circuit court, you keep one, and the other copy is to serve the other party.

You have to file a Family Law Financial Affidavit along with your petition. You can find a form for this at www.flcourts.org