Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter signed a temporary voluntary guardianship of her…

Customer Question
My daughter signed a...

My daughter signed a temporary voluntary guardianship of her son to my ex wife 4 years ago! She moved to another state and has married and had another child now she wants her son back. She filed a petition to cancel the guardianship and her mother filed an exception and does not want to give the child back! And the judge seems to be just sitting on his hands and doing nothing! Her mother does not always let her talk to her son and she has denied her visitation where do we go from hear?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Fire our current lawyer and start over?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Wyoming

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes i raised her and her brother

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Not to mention the woman is very good at manipulating people
She does not get the boy to school on time and he misses school and is behind in school
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/27/2018
Family Lawyer: Glenn Zimmerman,
 replied 2 months ago
Glenn Zimmerman
Wyoming is like many states, it is hard to overturn an order of custody. The courts feel it is in the best interest of the child to remain in a stable home environment. The person requesting the change MUST show a material and substantial change AND that changing custody would materially promote the best interest of the child. Most people say: "you must show the custodian is unfit to change custody". I don't know how old the daughter is, but I am sure she has a routine, friends and familiarity with her current community. Courts don't generally like to "uproot" children. If the mother can get an agreement or can show that it is clearly better for the child to be with her, there is a chance I suggest you get a good attorney from the local area to assist you. Good luck and please accept answer and give a positive rating.