Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question child support one. I am the respondent.

I have a question...

I have a question child support one

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

OK . I am the respondent . She filled a petition for support violation. The initial divorce judgment was in a different family court . The monthly amount of child support is 700$. We divorced in 2012. Due to my immigration status at the time, I left the USA in 2009. When I was overseas I agreed with the divorce terms and we got divorced in 2012. I was overseas and she was here in USA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I want to have a lawyer can I finish please

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need to ask the lawyer q question about this case

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello
Divorce date was Feb 2012. Child support amount 700$. I was making payment from overseas total of 30,000 dollars.
I returned to the U.S. on July 2016 and I was making 200 dollars payment a month because I was not working. I was having financial difficulties overseas.
On March 2018 , my ex wife started a petition for support violation. I did also send to court a motion to downgrade my monthly payment. My next court date is on mid June 2018. This is the first court appearance.I sent to court all new W2 , Tax form, and all proof of money I sent from the USA and from overseas.My question:
1. Based on the material provided to court, do I have the chance that the Court will not find me in contempt to court order?2. What happen after the first hearing? I am worried about being sent to jail.3. In case of arrears , can the Court offers me the possibility to do a payment plan.
thanks
5/26/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have not made payments as ordered, you are by definition in contempt of court, but if you DID send the payments as ordered and can prove that in court, they should not find any contempt. They will not send you to jail on a first contempt claim. They will order you to fix the contempt and they will order you to pay arrears and if you cannot pay them lump sum they will come up with a monthly payment which will be added onto the regular support payment for you to pay.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you so much. This is so helpful.

Thank you for your reply.