Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My step kids are 18 & 16. His ex wife has always rented out…

My step kids are...

My step kids are 18 & 16. His ex wife has always rented out the family home and whenever she got a renter dropped the kids off with us without asking us first. As a result we had the boys over 50% of the time as the house was rented June-Sept and frequently during the year. We also had the boys every weekend and holidays.. We love the boys and we’re happy to have them with us so we didn’t complain or ask for a modification in child support. Last year it came out that she had been abusive to the now 16 yr old. Forcing him to drive at 14 so she could drink (even on long, multi state trips) waking him up in the middle of the night in a drunk rage to scream at him and then pass out on him, etc. he is now with us full time and the older boy is off to college. We are working out a deal with her bc we do not want to pay child support st this time since neither boy is living with her. She wants it in the agreement that Jeff pay for college in its entirety. Jeff told her that they had money in the 520 and could guarantee that she wouldn’t have to pay for more, but the boys might have a loan. She said she will agree to this if we pull the daughter my husband and I have together from the private school she attends. I went back to work to pay for this school and the money from my job pays for it in its entirety. I told her this & apparently made the situation worse and now she’s focused on us paying for college. Can we sue her for back child support given she had the kids less than 50% and was abusive? I dont want to go that route but if she’s insisting that we agree to pay for college we will need to retaliate. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No my husband and his ex are trying to come to an agreement but It’s looking like we might go to court

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has gotten well over a million or maybe close to 2 milllion in support (child and alimony) and has spent it on taking lavish trips (a private yacht with a private crew around the West Indies, etc) also my husband changed jobs and is now making 1/5 of what he did during the last agreement

5/26/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Getting child support returned will not happen.I woudl suggest you consider a lawyer here to make her pay now and for college too.There is no reason your husband should foot the entire bill, thats ridiculous.She is not being reasonable here, court will require her to pay half of college here and child support if you get custody.Yu have been overpaying long enough no need to give in to her at this point.File motion to modify custody and support.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Forms and self help

https://www.jud.ct.gov/forms/grouped/family/modification.htm

Prayers to you here with all.Thanks for rating.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer