Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My Daughter turned 18 in March 2018 and is graduating

Customer Question
My Daughter turned 18...

My Daughter turned 18 in March 2018 and is graduating 6-2-2018. How do I file to remove child support with the Court?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

Why would my Daughter file anything? This is between the ex and me. And the Court. My Daughter agrees that it should be stopped now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

IT was pretty clear. How do I file to stop Child Support now that my Daughter is both 18 and out Graduating in less than a week.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Is some one there looking at my question? And if I request a call do I get that now?
5/26/2018
Family Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
You begin the procedure to stop child support payments by contacting the Domestic Relations Office at the family court in charge of your case. The DRO informs your Child Support Enforcement Officer of this action, who then reviews your case and notifies the parent who is receiving support payments on behalf of the child. The other parent has 15 days to object after notification that child support is ending.
is there a filing that involves a Court fee? Do I simply look at the original Divorce Decree to get who the DRO is and write them or call them? And in Texas is it a given that after the Child becomes an Adult (18), and graduated high school. that Child Support is ended? My ex works for a Family Law Firm. Can she put the screws to me or is it just done?
Hello Jim. Are you here?
Is this all I get or are you still here and answering my questions? We are 5 minutes past my last question of "are you here?"
Jim. Are you really indeed helping or is that all I get?