Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do you take away someone’s visitation in New York

Customer Question
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

You'd have to file a motion to modify the original visitation agreement and be able to prove to the court that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the previous order AND that it is in the best interest of the child that the visitation be modified. That said, it is unlikely that a court will completely take away visitation from a non-custodial parent because the goal of a court whenever possible is for a child to have a relationship with both parents. So unless the parent is shown to be abusive, neglectful and just an all-around horrible risk to the child and there is no other possible option, it's unlikely a court would grant such a request. A motion to reduce the amount of visitation time, or even for supervised visitation, would be something a court may be more open to.