Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am out of state and was told by the kids of my mother I…

Customer Question
I am out of...

I am out of state and was told by the kids of my mother I have a court date for child support

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Just got this information today. I’m in Wisconsin she is in South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I have been sending my kids mother money through PayPal

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Family Law
5/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Im just trying to figure out how do I approach this situation. She’s a great mother. I don’t mind being on child support but at the same time I want to provide for my kids.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The court date is set but I’m not sure if I can make it. Drive trucks and it’s hard to get a day off with this company

I see. So, there's no current orders at this time, correct?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The address they sent papers to was my mothers house. It was a card left on her door
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Orders??

I see. What I mean is that have you ever been ordered by the court to pay child support in the past?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Never
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
We were married but separated now

So, the first way to approach this is to consider what the law says. Generally, the state where the child lives is the state with jurisdiction. The judge can't come up with an arbitrary amount as the law requires that the judge issue a child support order based on the best interests of the children. If you have been served with a summons for child support, and you cannot make the date, it is important that you either a) ask for a continuance (delay) or b) you call the court and ask them how to appear via telephone or some other electronic means. There are probably forms that you must fill out to make this happen. If you disagree with the amount, then you can submit an "answer" to her petition about this, stating that what she is asking for is inaccurate and you can make your case.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok great, so how do I get that information

On the forms you were sent, there should be information on how to contact the courthouse. You'll need to contact the court clerk as they are the men and women who can help you appropriately arrange for a call into the court if you cannot attend in person.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok great thanks that’s a lot of help

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
How do I go about with a divorce

That's bit of a diffrent process, but still with the family court. You could file either in WI or SC, so long as either one of you have lived there for at least six months. The courthouse should have packets and forms available to you. You fill them out, make three copies, file one, serve one, and keep one. The forms will ask you questions regarding alimony and spousal support. The forms will also ask you about how you'd like to split the property. 90% of the couples who file for divorce can agree on how to split property, custody, alimony, and child support, but if you can't, you have to go to trial and prove your case.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok. I just want a simple divorce don’t want anything but that
Totally understand. I think if you search the internet, you can find the forms. But before you do that, talk to her about how you'll split things up.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok thank you sir
You bet