Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I raised my son till he was 15 years old. He now is 16 and…

Customer Question
I raised my son...

I raised my son till he was 15 years old . He now is 16 and lives with father who is now going after child support and makes more then I do. I don't know how this works

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Just received child support paper work for me to pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nh

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm worried I don't make enough. His father and wife make more money then I do. And I have my son all weekend and Vacation. And pay for shcool supply and clothes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/26/2018
Family Lawyer: fiftyshadesoflaw, Family Law Attorney replied 2 months ago
fiftyshadesoflaw
fiftyshadesoflaw, Family Law Attorney

I am a licensed attorney who will try to help you with this matter. Please answer a few follow up question while I do a little research to help you. Do you have a custody order in placing him with his father? Did you just informally agree to this custody arrangement? Whose medical insurance is your son on? Do you have any other children that you support?

It was not court ordered it was a little agreement. I have a 4 year old daughter with hip dysplasia not his daughter

Thanks for answering my questions. In your state unlike other states it seems percentage of parenting time is not used to calculate child support responsibilities for either parent. In New Hampshire, the amount of child support is figured based on a percentage of the non-residential parent's income. New Hampshire uses a basic child support formula that uses one parent's income to determine the amount of payment. Here if your son is now living with his father you will be considered the non resident parent. You can go onto the following website and use the child support calculator to get an estimate. http://business.nh.gov/dhhs_Calculator/ (link to the website) The Child Support Guidelines Calculator provides an estimate of a child support obligation based upon your current financial situation. It is not a guarantee of the actual amount that will be calculated by the court in accordance with NH Statutes and Administrative Rules. Enter your financial information there and you can have an idea. If you are not in agreement that you are the non resident parent and your child will return soon to your home then you can contest the request for child support. Children are entitled to support until they reach age 18, or end their high school education, whichever happens later, or support may extend through their college education.

Information about what may be next now that you been served:

When a request for an order for child support is filed, both parents are required to file the following three forms that you can get from the Superior Court and Family Division Clerk’s Offices.

Financial Affidavit

The financial affidavit is a form which requires disclosure of information concerning your income and expenses. Putting false information in a financial affidavit is a crime. See our page on Financial Affidavits for more information and a link to the Court's form.

Child Support Worksheet

This form is used to calculate child support. The income information is taken from the financial affidavits. Use the child support guideline worksheet available at the Superior Court or Family Division Clerk’s Office to calculate the correct support amount.

When the absent parent provides medical insurance coverage, he or she receives a partial credit which is likely to result in a reduction of the child support order.

Can a support order differ from the guidelines?

Parents like you and the father may agree to a support order different from the guideline amount, or a court may order a different amount, if there are special circumstances. Special circumstances may include extraordinary medical, dental or education expenses; significantly high or low income of either parent; or other special circumstances that cause an order to be too low or too high. Court approval is required for any child support order that is different from the guidelines (and DCSS approval is required if a parent receives public assistance).

Contested hearing

After the filed necessary papers with the court, your case will be scheduled for a contested hearing. At the hearing you and the father should be prepared to present evidence of both parents’ monthly income and living expenses (pay stubs, receipts for extraordinary expenses, etc.); total number of dependents; medical insurance; and anything else that will help the judge to determine how much child support to order. After hearing the evidence, the judge will issue an order setting out the amount of child support to be paid, and addressing questions about medical insurance coverage.

If you reach an agreement with the other parent and file it with the court, you will be scheduled for an uncontested hearing instead of a contested hearing.

Make sure you respond within the time frame that you see on your summons instructions you were served with. My goal is to provide you superior customer service, so if I have done that please provide me a positive or 5 star rating. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Goodmorning,

Do you have a follow question?