Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Aloha, I used CompleteCase todo an uncontested divorce with…

Customer Question
I used CompleteCase todo...

I used CompleteCase todo an uncontested divorce with my wife. It was filed with Santa Clara Superior Court. It has been sitting, not moving, since March. My wife mailed some other paperwork the court said needed to be done. I completed and mailed it back the second week of April.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes. according to CompleteCase everything has been submitted.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We started the process last July. I moved to the big island the end of August. So there have been delays..

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Jan 1*****required an additional fee of $435.00. I believe I paid it with a personal check and mailed it back with the paperwork. CompleteCase informed yesterday that courts don't take checks. If that is the case, it was never returned back to me. My wife never received paperwork that it was an incorrect form of payment.
The home address is what is in the filing records. In March the court sent out some other to my wife paperwork that had to be redone. She forwarded it to me. I contacted CompleteCase to help me through the process the second week of April. I then sent them directly to the Santa Clara Count Superior Court.
There has been no update that the papers were recieved and the divorce is moving forward.
How can I find out the current status in order to make sure that they have what is needed for the divorce to become final??
Santa Clara County Superior Court Case number #17FL003551
Mahalo ***** *****
Michael Holland
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
5/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. So, if there has been no movement, it is possible that the court has either rejected the petition or they don't have all of the paperwork they need yet to make a final judgment on the matter. In your case, the best thing to do would be to go to the courthouse and ask for any of the documents regarding the matter. In this case, it is probable that your wife needs to fill out some information, but if there is a problem, the court clerk will tell either you or her about the issue. If more time continues to pass, you can work with a family law facilitator at the courthouse. They are required to be there to help assist you with the paperwork that you may need to get your case finalized.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Aloha,
Mahalo ***** ***** for the quick response!
If the paperwork was incomplete the court sent follow up paperwork to the house and then my wife would forward it to me.
Wouldn't the court follow the same procedure again?

Correct, but if she didn't forward it to you, it'd be impossible for you to see. The courthouse and the family law facilitator down there can definitely help you sort it out. By law, the county is required to have a family law facilitator available to assist you. It is possible that the paperwork that is needed to correct these issues has been lost, misplaced, or never sent. I've seen a lot of things happen here.

What other questions did you have for me today about this?

Regarding the $435.00 additional fee that became effective Jan 1, 2018 in CA. CompleteCase informed me that the court will not accept a personal check, only a MO. Is that correct?
Mahalo ***** ***** for all your help today!!
In Health and Aloha,
Michael

It actually depends on the county. Most counties here will accept checks, but they will definitely accept money orders. Thus, although complete case is probably correct, this has not been my experience. If there is a check issue, then the court will let you know.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?