Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a singe mother, and i want to know what i should do…

Customer Question
I am a singe...

I am a singe mother, and i want to know what i should do about. if i should let my daughter go with her father when i feel she is in harm

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No maam

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have messages where her father has told me and other that his new gf has been violent towards him and im concerned for my daughter to go with him because she lives with him.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

okay
i don't have the money. Her father doesn't pay child support.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

If you feel that your daughter's safety or well-being is at risk, then no, you do not have to permit visitation with the father.

Is there currently a custody order in place?

no ma'am no custody order, Actually there is nothing through the court.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

If there is no custody order, then there is no legal obligation for you to allow visitation.

Even with a custody order, you would be able to deny visitation and obtain an emergency injunction if your daughter's safety was at risk.

However since there is no custody order, you do not have to permit visitation.

Without a custody order from the court, the father cannot mandate visitation and the police cannot force visitation either, if he were to contact them.

The father would need to petition the court for custody or visitation rights and obtain a court order if he wanted to mandate visitation. At which point you would also have an opportunity to contest, if you wanted, based on grounds of your daughter's safety, and any other concerns you might have.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!