Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If my husband wants a divorce and I don't what are my

Customer Question
If my husband wants...

If my husband wants a divorce and I don't what are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No steps have been taken

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I am just no sure about my rights

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

California is a no fault divorce state.

That means that your husband will unfortunately be able to obtain a divorce, even if you do not wish to.

If you do not respond to his divorce request, or if you refuse to sign off on the divorce, he can still obtain a default judgment granting the divorce after 30 days.

If there are assets to be divided or other financial concerns, you may want to consider hiring a divorce lawyer to represent you, if your husband does move ahead with filing for the divorce.

If that does happen, you can contact the California State Bar for a referral to a divorce attorney in your area.

The phone number is:

866-44-CA-LAW(###) ###-####

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

I hope that helps!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!