Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a Grandmother in Florida. My Grand daughter lives in…

I am a Grandmother...

I am a Grandmother in Florida. My Grand daughter lives in York and has 3 children. She has full custody but the father filed an injunction . What can we do ? She needs help and is in no financial position to pay for an Attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in FL family court?

No we have not been involved because every party is in York and Geneva

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

NO and I do not believe my Granddaughter has, she thinks she can defend herself in court. I some how do not think so

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is a very long story and I do not know where to start

5/25/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your granddaughter cannot defend herself in court any more than a doctor can perform an appendectomy on themselves and you can tell her that. Even attorneys will not represent themselves in these cases, they are too emotionally charged.

If you want to help her insist she go to legal aid, especially if the father has been abusive to her or the children they will get involved and provide her legal assistance.

Second, she can call the state bar and ask for pro bono attorneys in the area.

Finally, if at all possible to help her get a local attorney in NY, that is the best way for her to defend herself and protect her rights to the children because going up against the father in the NY court without an attorney would not have high odds of success.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.