Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have used my husband +my first name since 1976 after

Customer Question
I have used my...

I have used my husband +my first name since 1976 after getting married for my profession, but I keep my maiden if the institution needs it. Do I have the right to do it.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

In California. One time my passport has that name and when I asked for my social security number I was registered with that name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I have that name on my social security number could I considered it as a le gal name. I came from France

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 2 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

There is no prohibition against informally using the name you took at the time of marriage. Marriage is one of the few times a woman can change her name legally. Some marriage certificates set out what the spouses' names will be after marriage (but many don't).

For a legal name change, you can contact the California Court for a name change application. Here is their website with links to the documents you'll need.

Does that answer your question to your satisfaction?

Sue

Did you find the information I provided you helpful?

Do you have other questions?

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue