Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My divorce/ parenting agreement is out of MIssouri in 2014.

My divorce/ parenting agreement...

My divorce/ parenting agreement is out of MIssouri in 2014. Since then he's moved to Mississippi and i've moved to Iowa. We have joint custody of our 2 children one resides with him one resides with me. He plays a lot of games- like threatens to not return my son. Tells my Daughter she doesn't have to see me. Calls non stop during my visitation with her. Hes trying to alienate me. He doesn't stick to our agreed parenting plan. I have no say when it comes to her or knowledge. I need to get something filed in Iowa before he does something in Mississippi and I have to go to court there. I need my parental agreement- modified/enforced. I'm sure I need other things too.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in MO family court?

Nothing has been filed other then divorce papers in MO in 2014 on my part anyways.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Nobody.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My daughter hasn't spoken to me in 2 months and she won't acknowledge me my heart is breaking and i'm really, really scared. He is narcissistic and I can't deal with him anymore.

Answered in 1 hour by:
5/25/2018
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

The first step is to get a copy of your divorce/ parenting agreement certified by the Court in Missouri. You may already have copies that are certified.

Then you can prepare a Registration of Foreign Decree to file with the certified copy of your divorce/ parenting agreement in Iowa. This will give your local family court jurisdiction to make modifications to your divorce/ parenting agreement.

I'm going to do some research to see if Iowa has that form available on line.

I'll be right back.

Sue

This Iowa Court's website has some good information, but I haven't found the Registration of Foreign Decree form.

Here is Iowa's Legal Aid page, which also has some good information, but again, I haven't found that form.

So what you can do is go down to your local family court to ask for a Registration of Foreign Decree form. Staff cannot give legal advice, but they should be able to assist you with filling out forms.

Sue

This is very helpful and gives me some light in a sad time for me. I really appreciate this information Thank You.

I'm glad.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney