Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was recently served with a subpoena duces tecum to produce…

Customer Question
I was recently served...

I was recently served with a subpoena duces tecum to produce my son in a court hearing. Is there a recommended way to prepare for this? Is there any way to challenge this subponea?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I was already awarded custody of my son, and his mother is deceased. His grandmother is serving the subpoena.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, but I'm uncertain of how to proceed.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/25/2018
Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your civil procedure question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with this matter. A subpoena is a court order and failure to comply with the same would put you in contempt of the court.

Your options are a. comply with the order; b. file a motion with the court to quash the subpoena based upon it being frivolous , overly burdensome , and/or not relevant to the proceedings.

If you choose to oppose the subpoena the motion needs to be filed as soon as possible typically 20 days.

If you have a copy of the subpoena you can send a copy here through to me for review just let me know.

This would be an additional service that I can make available.

In relation to my answer please follow up as required.

In return remember to rate my answer positively today as this is how I get a credit for my time and assistance to you.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or accept.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill