Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband is trying to got his birth certificate from

My husband is trying...

My husband is trying to got his birth certificate from Puerto Rico. But he is hitting dead end. Because Puerto Rico birth certificate have first name, mother's maiden name and father's last name. When my husband came here and was signed up for school years ago they just used his father's last name. So he has nothing with has mother's last name. What can we do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your husband taken? Has he filed any papers in Puerto Rican family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Because he doesn't have any legal documents with his mother's maiden name he's running into dead ends

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It seems everything I've tried it. I keep getting dead ends and they keep asking me for a passport but I keep telling him if I have a passport I would need my birth certificate

5/24/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is not quite as complicated as you may believe and it happens quite often actually. Unfortunately, if he does not have the full information and PR cannot search the records solely by his father's name (they should be able to but since the hurricane a lot of records were destroyed), it means your husband needs to engage a local attorney where you reside and will need to go to court with proof of his identity and the court would have to issue a court order validating his birth date based on his school records and then they can issue an order to obtain a passport, which will cure is issue. It will require a local civil attorney, but it would cure his issues.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.