Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son went through a divorce with shared custody, they had…

Customer Question
My son went through...

My son went through a divorce with shared custody, they had provisions that they could travel as long as the other parent was informed where, however it does not say anything about moving out of state, we are in Florida and the mother wants to move to ohio. I looked over his paperwork and when it talked about jurisdiction it said it was covered by the uniform child custody jurisdiction and enforcement act. What does that mean? Can she just move up there like that?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in FL family court?

No I just found out, she dropped the kids off with him for two weeks and the kids said they are moving after that, so did she\

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No,that's why I am talking to you to find out what that uniform act is

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
is anyone there?
5/24/2018
Family Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

What is the custody arrangement?

shared custody all the way
primary with mom

What is the breakdown of custody? Please be specific.

do you want me to write his whole divorce paper? I tried to attach as a file but it wouldn't let me

No, I just want to know the breakdown. Does he get just visitation? Or is it 50/50? What is the breakdown of time?

50/50 on everything,

OK, so he gets the kids every other week?

sometimes more than that, weekends when school is in session
It does say for relocation that any relocation of the children is subject to and must be sought in compliance with section 61.131001, florida statues

Hi there,

Sorry it took me so long. I have been searching for that statute and realized that the number you gave me was incorrect. It is actually 61.13001, not 61.131001. But that's ok, I figured it out. Thank you for your patience.

Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will see five stars at the top of this screen. Those stars are important because they are how I earn credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that for me before you leave the site today.

So yes, each state usually has relocation statutes that serves as rules of relocation and custody. In this case, if he does not consent by agreement, then she has to file a petition for relocation which must be approved and ordered by the court before she can relocate the children. She cannot just take the children without the consent of your son, their father.

I hope that answers your questions. If you have any additional questions, you are welcome to ask them.

In the mean time, please do not forget to give me credit for helping you today. To do that, you just scroll to the top of this screen, and click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★). Again, this is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

And if you feel like I’ve earned a bonus tip, that is also appreciated!

Finally, if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for helping you. Do you need more help? If not, please go to the top of your screen and click on 4 or 5 stars.

Thank you!